About Me

My photo
I'm not a serious runner, and I'm certainly not that competitive. I'm someone who has two children, reached her 40's and simply wants to stay fit and feel good. I am writing this blog to share my thoughts, experiences and hopefully inspire others to take up running and explore green spaces in a city and further afield. I work as a freelance journalist and a part-time school librarian, and write this blog purely for love. Please feel free to comment and I'll do my best to reply and continue to write an entertaining blog.

Sunday 24 October 2010

Ashton Court 10k

The sun smiled down on the 1,400 or so runners who did the Ashton Court 10k last Sunday. It was perfect running weather - cool, clear blue skies and no wind. Ashton Court was looking it's best. Great views and a wonderful  assortment of autumnal colours. 

Despite my left knee playing up half way through, I came in at 59 mins 30 secs. Under the hour. YES! This is pretty good for me, especially with all the hills. I ploughed on with my running plod through all the hills yet I struggled on the flat. My left knee starting hurting just after the last bit of up hill around 6k. All the people that I had passed on the up hill were now tearing past me! It was so disheartening as I felt myself getting slower and slower. My mind started playing games as I got increasingly angry with myself. My knee never usually hurts at this distance! Yet I knew I was feeling stiff before the run. I hadn't stretched properly all week which for me is no good. I need to do yoga to keep myself supple.

Thankfully my cheerful running buddy caught up with me and encouraged me on. It was such a relief to have her running next to me. I instantly relaxed and continued to run through the pain. Once I was off the flat track my knee recovered and I was able to stride out on the final section down hill. In fact we pretty much sprinted the last 3k to the finish line.

My knee has been fine since but I have learned a lesson. Be sure to stretch out more with some yoga and practice running up hills!

No comments:

Post a Comment