About Me

My photo
I'm not a serious runner, and I'm certainly not that competitive. I'm someone who has two children, reached her 40's and simply wants to stay fit and feel good. I am writing this blog to share my thoughts, experiences and hopefully inspire others to take up running and explore green spaces in a city and further afield. I work as a freelance journalist and a part-time school librarian, and write this blog purely for love. Please feel free to comment and I'll do my best to reply and continue to write an entertaining blog.

Tuesday 5 October 2010

Off-Road Exploration

When running around the streets of Bristol gets a bit boring, it's time to get muddy and do some off-road exploration. And believe me South Bristol is full of great places to run off-road and it's pretty varied too. Plenty of mud, hills, narrow paths, mud, cemeteries, and of course the odd bit of excavation all thrown in. Oh and did I mention mud. Lets face it running around the streets is boring. Once you start exploring running off road you won't want to run on the streets again. So where are all these hidden gems? Check out BS4.

First there's the parks for circuits. These include Arnos Court Park, Victory Park, Victoria Park and St Annes Park. Then there are the nature reserves including Nightingale Valley, Eastwood Farm and Callington Road. Then there's the Avon River Path. Join it at Netham Lock and either run into town or run out past Crews Hole to Hanham. Beeses Tea Gardens in the summer months and the Old Lock & Weir pub are great watering holes. Another great place to run is Arnos Cemetery during opening hours. There's a gate from Arnos Court Park. Link the park and the cemetery together and you have another great (if somewhat hilly) circuit. Then there are loads of public footpaths linking all these green spaces together. Get hold of an OS map or better still sign up to Mapometer. It's a mapping website perfect for finding new routes in your area. Everytime I discover a new footpath I consult Mapometer to see where the path goes. A lot of these footpaths go through fields or follow the edge of golf courses. From Brislington you can be running in open countryside within five minutes. It's just finding the routes.

So get out there. Get the map and get exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment