About Me

My photo
I'm not a serious runner, and I'm certainly not that competitive. I'm someone who has two children, reached her 40's and simply wants to stay fit and feel good. I am writing this blog to share my thoughts, experiences and hopefully inspire others to take up running and explore green spaces in a city and further afield. I work as a freelance journalist and a part-time school librarian, and write this blog purely for love. Please feel free to comment and I'll do my best to reply and continue to write an entertaining blog.

Friday 11 February 2011

Running the Race for Life with your daughter

I've just booked myself and Jessie, my eight year old daughter, to do the 2011 Race for Life in Bristol.

We did the race together for the first time last year and I had no idea how Jessie was going to get on. I thought I could probably take it easy and gently trot around the course behind her. How wrong was I?

From the moment the race started she was off - darting in and out of the crowd leaving me and all her friends behind. It was difficult to keep up with her and I felt sure she would run out of steam very quickly.

Tiny as she is, she simply run through the gaps between various groups of ladies while I politely repeated "excuse me, excuse me" whilst attempting to squeeze past and keep up.

At first I was concerned that she was going to get knocked over by other runners and walkers as they wouldn't see her. As the race continued and I realised it was more a matter of keeping up with her - I cursed my alcohol consumption from the night before. When she did finally stop, it wasn't because she was out of breath but because her feet were hurting. After a little rest, a sip of water and a mini water fight, her mate caught up with us and we all finished together.

I can't explain how proud I felt about my little girl. I just remember everyone cheering her on and fellow runners praising her and smiling. It was a great day for everyone - well everyone perhaps except her sister who had an attack of hayfever. Jessie did so well last year that we thought we would do it this time for charity.

Jessie is particularly tiny for her age and she continually complains about being small and light. Yet being small obviously has some advantages like being a mean runner!! The race also gave her confidence a massive boost.

I wonder how we will get on this year? Certainly more enjoyable than my Longleat 10k that I did last week. That was tough. The hardest 10k yet.

4 comments:

  1. Being small has a lot of advantages I should imagine. Well done to Jessie, and the very best of luck for this year's run.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog. I've just entered myself for the Bristol 10k! I did the race for life 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. How lovely to run it with your daughter. Off to have a look at your 10k experiences now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also entered the Bristol 10k again and am seriously considering doing the Tyntesfield 10k, organised by the Nailsea Running Club, in May.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. My little one is starting to get some endurance. I can't wait until I can do something like this with him.

    ReplyDelete