About Me

My photo
I'm not a serious runner, and I'm certainly not that competitive. I'm someone who has two children, reached her 40's and simply wants to stay fit and feel good. I am writing this blog to share my thoughts, experiences and hopefully inspire others to take up running and explore green spaces in a city and further afield. I work as a freelance journalist and a part-time school librarian, and write this blog purely for love. Please feel free to comment and I'll do my best to reply and continue to write an entertaining blog.

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Tyntesfield Ten - I did it

I can't believe it. I managed to do the Tyntesfield Ten last night - a 10k (ish) race organised by Nailsea Running Club and the National Trust. Why am I so surprised? Mainly because my leg was really sore before the race (shin splints) and I almost didn't do it. It was a case of strapping my leg up really well and just seeing how I got on.

Thankfully the first 3k was a circular route before heading off into the hills, so I knew if my leg was really hurting I could pull-out at that point. But I didn't need to. I took it really easy, soaked up the friendly atmosphere and beautiful surroundings and finished the whole race in just over an hour. Well chuffed especially after missing out on the Bristol 10k! So a massive thanks for all the support from my running pals and the volunteer helpers.

I stretched out after the race, iced my leg when I got home, had a bath, drank a recovery drink and all seems well today. Yee Haa! Having a sports massage later following the recommendation of my physio.

Would I do this race again? Absolutely. This is a run I would highly recommend particularly if you like running off-road. It's well-organised, with lots of helpers and the course varies a lot. Hills, narrow paths, open fields, spectacular scenery and of course you get to explore the grounds of Tyntesfield. A great run. This years race was started by two-time Olympian and local running legend, Nick Rose, co-owner of Up and Running Bristol, the sponsor for this great event.

I must mention just after the finishing line I got chatting to Tom from the Relish The Great Outdoors intiative. In partnership with the National Trust he is organising a series of great sounding races where the whole family can be involved. The first is at Dyrham Park where there will be a 10k multi terrain race and team relay, a 3km fun run and a 300m run. Sounds fab.

No comments:

Post a Comment