About Me

My photo
I'm not a serious runner, and I'm certainly not that competitive. I'm someone who has two children, reached her 40's and simply wants to stay fit and feel good. I am writing this blog to share my thoughts, experiences and hopefully inspire others to take up running and explore green spaces in a city and further afield. I work as a freelance journalist and a part-time school librarian, and write this blog purely for love. Please feel free to comment and I'll do my best to reply and continue to write an entertaining blog.

Friday 24 June 2011

Learning to read is a national problem

Just came across the Evening Standard's campaign to raise awareness about the charity Volunteer Reading Help. It's all about helping children to read in London.

While this is a great idea, this is a national problem and there are already systems in schools where parents can volunteer to read with other children in their primary schools. I have been volunteering at my daughter's school for three years as a Better Reading Partner. The difference a little bit of focussed reading makes to a child is simply amazing, not only with their reading but also with their overall confidence. Why does it take a London based newspaper to raise awareness that there is a reading problem in the UK?

No comments:

Post a Comment