About Me

My photo
I'm not a serious runner, and I'm certainly not that competitive. I'm someone who has two children, reached her 40's and simply wants to stay fit and feel good. I am writing this blog to share my thoughts, experiences and hopefully inspire others to take up running and explore green spaces in a city and further afield. I work as a freelance journalist and a part-time school librarian, and write this blog purely for love. Please feel free to comment and I'll do my best to reply and continue to write an entertaining blog.

Wednesday 8 June 2011

Britain's Park Story & the value of nature

Described as 'the lungs of the city - historian Dan Cruickshank reveals the history of our public parks in the BBC programme 'Britain's Park Story'. Did anyone watch it last Sunday? If not here's a link to BBC iplayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t9qv8/Britains_Park_Story/

Cruickshank travels the country to discover the evolution of the nation's urban public parks, a story of class, civic pride, changing fashions in sport and recreation which helps re-evaluate the amazing assets they are.

Talking about the importance of our parks and open spaces, there have recently been two interesting features in The Guardian - Managing parks and green spaces despite budget cuts and The true value of nature is not a number with a pound sign in front a live debate in response to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs National Ecosystem Assessment. Both are certainly worth a read.

Many thanks to the Bristol Parks Forum for forwarding these links and GreenSpace UK

No comments:

Post a Comment